Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Friday, November 14, 2008

Disappointed...

with the Miele Guide! I thought the guide will be a "revolutionary" food guide...but in the end, the Top 20 restaurants list has no surprises at all :(

I may not have eaten at all of them, but know them through the usual reviews, blogs, etc....and it gets kind of boring the see the same ones being reviewed over and over again!

Or maybe I was expecting too much?

The only restaurant from the Top 10 I wanted to try was Hutong in Hong Kong - and it's not because it's No. 9 on the list (just below Yung Kee) - but because I found really good reviews about it online way before the Miele Guide was published. It was also mentioned in Hong Kong Luxe Guide and other guide books. The place sounded exciting because of the spectacular view the restaurant is supposed to offer and of course their crispy lamb thingy sounds delicious and kinda contemporary - a bit of fusion executed well is what I like.

Let's hope I can get a reservation when I'm in Hong Kong end of this month! Oh dear....I have absolutely no idea what to wear to Hutong! I am sure the Hong Kong-ers will be dressed to the nines!

Oh, and they only selected 3 pathetic restaurants in Jakarta?! What's up with that? There are so many others which I KNOW deserves to be in the list - and the 3 in the list - I have not heard of them at all! Sigh...that was a big disapointment.

What I really want from this guide is to tell me where to go for really good food with good service. The places that were listed in Singapore were your usual run of the mill popular places. Crystal Jade Palace will not be my choice at all as they deliver inconsistent quality of food. No Sign Board Seafood is another place that I never thought would make it into the guide - especially after suffering severe diarrhoea after dining at their branch in the now demolished "Oasis". I think Seafood Paradise and Melben (@ Toa Payoh) dishes out better crabs than them! Is it because these two places are not "atas" enough to be in the Guide?

I just feel that there are a lot of other places that deserves to be named, but was not. And the biasness stems from asking the "experts" to nominate the top 20 restaurants in their country. This list is already skewed in the first place....

This will be my first and last Miele Guide...money not well spent at all.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin