Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Jakarta - Day 1

Brought 2 months old Baby Bel back to Jakarta for the very first time! She's a good girl! Didn't cry at all during the flight!


Baby Bel was more restless in the car than in the plane! It took us 2hrs to reach home :(

Later that night, we had dinner with all my relatives from my mom's side at Angke - the most popular Hakka restaurant in Jakarta! It was so packed and we had to wait awhile for the food to arrive. And there were 2 full tables of us hungry adults...

Check out the bottled Coke! I love it! It's so old school!


The first dish to arrive is the noodles - which we attacked with relish! I don't know how to describe the taste of the noodles, but it's really different, and it reminded me of my childhood?!

Next up is my favourite dish - the boiled chicken with lots of garlic and ginger sauce poured over it. It's like the Hainanese Chicken Rice boiled chicken, but with more kick.

And then came the dish that I won't eat! The frog legs....eh...skip! But the adults love it so much. It's cooked with preserved salted vegetable and the red stuff...don't know what it is called.

Next comes my bro's favourite dish. The eel fried with "fu mak". It's a type of vegetable that is crunchy. It blends well with the slightly crunchy fried eel.


My other favourite dish is prawns in butter sauce. Yum! Sinfully buttery and the prawns are sooo huge! My bro said this plate of prawns cost SGD50, the most expensive dish that night, but I think it's worth it cos the prawns are really HUGE!

I thought that's the end of the dishes, and out came the braised pork belly! I'm not a fan of fatty meats, but this is a traditional Hakka dish that will appear during festive periods. The adults enjoyed it anyway. I drenched my rice in the flavourful sauce.


And there is more!! The last dish was the stir fried tofu and fish with black bean sauce. By then, I'm really very full! Couldn't eat more than a bite of the tofu. The tofu has a smoky flavour to it, which was really nice, couldn't find something like this elsewhere.

*BURP* That was a really a satisfying dinner on our first day in Jakarta! More good food to come!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin