Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Saturday, March 28, 2009

First Thai...!

After spending 10 days in China, Chinese food is the last thing on J's mind.  Which is just as well, because I've been having a serious craving for tom yum soup.

We (or rather I :)) decided to go First Thai at Purvis Street, although I know the parking is going to be a nightmare!  Luckily, we managed to get a parking space as soon as we reach the street!  Hurray!

There was a long Q at First Thai too!  But we were immediately shown to our seats when we asked for a table for two.  Double hurray!

This is the vegetable omelette with the delicious sambal like chilli sauce.  I have no idea what sauce it is, but it's definitely delicious!  And I also have no idea what vegetables are used for the omelette, it is stringy and kind of crunchy, which gave the omelette a tasty texture.
  

The seafood tom yum soup is the reason why I am there in the first place.  Their tom yum has a good balance of sourness and spicy kick.  Yums!  I can only find better tom yum in Thailand, the rest of the places in Singapore either serve it too spicy or too sour.

This is the first time we order the prawn tang hoon in claypot, and it did not disappoint.  Actually, I've not had a disappointing dish in First Thai all this while.  The tang hoon is peppery and fragrant with a spicy kick.  There were 4 huge prawns - and it didn't cost me $239 like it would have in Newton :)


I ordered a serve of the Coconut drink...I don't know what is it's actual name, I just call it the Coconut drink.  It's a sweet syrupy coconut water with coconut flesh in it.  I'm not sure if the drink is sweetened, but it is refreshing and a welcome relief from the spicy food.  

First Thai is a quaint little eatery that serves really good food, but it does not come cheap.  This meal for 2 comes up to $43!  But I will still come here when I want to have a good Thai meal :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin