Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sik Wai "SIN"

I'm so behind in my posts, that I don't know where to start blogging!

Anyway, today I feel like sharing my favourite "zhi char" place of all times. It's Sik Wai Sin (say it in Cantonese!) in Geylang Lorong 15. I've been going there for delicious meals since I was like 6??

The food back then was more salty and oilier, before all the "Healthier Choice" campaign started. And it really tasted better! Ha!


My 3rd Aunty and her hubby came to visit, and we brought them there for lunch, and my Uncle enjoyed himself very much :) A lot of my overseas relatives like to eat there whenever they come to Singapore.

There is no menu in the...err...."restaurant"...they only have a few dishes that they cook. We usually order the following:




The fish head is a must - all the tables have one! It's steamed fish head with tons of fried pork lard (which I scrape off...yucks!), and tau cheo, and spring onions. Yum.





My favourite dish is the tofu prawns. No fancy name, just ask for tofu prawns and the above is what you get! I love the mashed up tofu in the sticky gooey eggy gravy and the huge a** prawns! I heart this dish....yum.



Next is the pork "meat cake"? Don't know what to call this in English, but in Chinese just ask for "xian yu rou bing" aka Salted fish with meat?! I believe they still chop the pork with a cleaver here. The taste is really different from "meat cakes" where you use minced meat bought from supermarkets. And the salted fish just add that much more flavour to the meat! It doesn't look very appetizing, but believe me, it is delicious!!

We also ordered the bittergourd with pork ribs, but it's not pictured - cos we devoured it already. Or rather, the "adults" devoured the thing before I can whip out my iPhone! I'm not a fan of bittergourd, but the "adults" seem to love it.

Other dishes I would have ordered is the black chicken apple soup. Hmmm...that is nice. This is the only black chicken dish that I will voluntarily ask form. But as there was only 4 of us that day, we only ordered 4 dishes.

Hmmm...I just can't seem to get the "old school" taste from other "zhi char" stalls or restaurants. This place is really old, but they are still run by the same family. So far, there is no drama resulting from sibling rivalry, etc., but then again, they are not as famous as the Selegie Soya Bean or the Joo Chiat pepper crabs?

Long live Sik Wai Sin! I'll be back for more...soon...! :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin