Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Year...new hairstyle...

Yesterday I had an appointment with Shunji, my hair stylist, and I happened to be watching Oprah's episode of "100 haircuts in 48 hours". Most of the lucky people who got a free haircut had long, limp hair, and they looked so much better after they chopped off their locks!!

That got me thinking if I should do the same?

When I arrived at the salon, Shunji asked me if I want to keep my hair length or cut it short. On impulse, I said: "yeah, cut it short!". And this is the result...


I was famished after the haircut and the logo of Garuda Padang restaurant across the street beckoned me to go eat Indonesian food!


My mom requested for this fish - ikan ambeng - which I will only eat if it's smothered in chilli sauce like this! The fish has kind of a fishy smell, which other people seem to like. Ok, I'm not a fish fan unless it is 100% free of fishy smell, like McDonald's Fillet-O-Fish :)

There was not a lot of variety of dishes that night, and we only ordered (clockwise from top left) the fried chicken (ayam goreng bumbu), tapioca leaves (daun singkong), hard boiled eggs in chilli (sambal telor), and a fried egg (telor goreng). Ok, we only realised we ordered 2 dishes of eggs when they arrived at our table...hehehe...but it's ok, I like eggs!

Garuda serves the most authentic Indonesian food in Singapore. Although it is expensive, but it satisfies my Indonesian food cravings the best. Now they have a buffet promotion - $22+++ for all you can eat, which is quite a good deal actually. But you need a minimum of 4 pax to enjoy the buffet.

There has been some bad reviews about Garuda's food, but they are all from non-Indonesians, who does not really know how to appreciate Indonesian food. I think they go there expecting to eat Malay food like they get from hawker centers, and they will be disappointed. Indonesian food use much less coconut milk (which I prefer), and the chili is really spicy. They are nothing like Malay food!

I admit the service is really slow, and sometimes non-existent, but overall the food reminds me of home.

I'm going to enjoy some really good Indonesian food next week when I'm back in Jakarta! Yeah!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin