Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Why Hong Kong is a Shopper's Paradise...

I came back from Hong Kong only a week ago, and I'm completely exasperated at the level of service that I get here in Singapore.

In this week alone, I've experienced so many unpleasantness.

Incident no. 1 - Louis Vuitton @ Takashimaya

Me: Hi, how much is that bag?
Sales girl: That is $2140
Me: What?!!!
Sales girl: Yes, it is expensive (in a condescending tone of voice...like I could not afford it!)
Me: No, it is not expensive, I bought the bag for more than $2500 in Hong Kong!

And I walked away...totally insulted...

J got the same LV bag in Hong Kong, and we thought that it would be cheaper there because there is no GST and the exchange rate is quite ok between HKD and SGD. I was really surprised that the bag is > $100 cheaper here, that is why I gave that surprised expression quite loudly. And the sale girl just assumed that I thought it is too expensive? Hey, where are your customer service skills? Sorry, I forgot, they are trained to be snobbish...in Singapore...

Singapore has a looooooooong way to go to up service levels, and I bet with you it will never reach the level in Hong Kong. Hong Kongers are survivors, and they saw the need to change their mindset, they just DO IT. Why do the designer boutiques here have to display such attitude? What is the point exactly? In recent years, I have not encountered such attitude service in Hong Kong.

Incident no. 2 - Chanel @ Takashimaya

Me: Hi, can I see the pink wallet?
Sales girl no. 1: (Silently take out the wallet for me)
Me: (Silently look at the compartments in the wallet, and whispered to J that it's too small to put a note inside without having to fold it...which I thought was a weird design flaw...)
Me: Do you have a wallet in this design but which allows you to put in a dollar note without having to fold it?
Sales girl no. 1: Yes, we have this bigger wallet....(and hands me the long wallet...)
Me: Hmmm...but I don't really like the long wallet....
Sales girl no. 1: Then we don't have....(and stands there silently...)
Me: ????....hmmm....

In Hong Kong, the sales person would have recommended a different wallet that will suit my needs. Oh well, this ain't Hong Kong. So I continued to browse around the shop...and saw a bag which I thought looked interesting.

Me: Hi, would you be able to show me that bag on the top shelf?
Sales girl no. 2: Sure...(and gave me a smile! nice...she took down the bag...)...this bag costs $4600
Me: Oh ok...(took the bag and tried to sling it over my shoulder...and returned the bag to her as it looks very aunty on me :(..)
Me: Oh, may I see this wallet?
Sales girl no. 2: Sure...this wallet is priced at $1600...
Me: (in my thoughts....WTF? Why is she telling me all the prices?!)
Me: Is this how you do it? Telling the customer the price of everything??
Sale girl no. 2: Yes, this is our company policy...
Me: (WTF?? The first sales girl did not do that?!)

Ok, I'm totally pissed off because it made me feel that I could not afford the bags? Although the 2nd sales girl apologised to me if she had offended me, but I can hardly believe that Chanel will set such a policy?! And if it's a POLICY, then why Sales girl no. 1 did not advise me the price of the 2 wallets that she has shown me?

Here is what I think are must-have traits in a good sales person:
1. Greet the customer sincerely
2. Understand the customer needs and SELL THE GOOD POINTS OF THAT BLOODY BAG!
3. Give alternatives, and suggest other things that the customer may like based on the information that you have gathered.
4. Praise the customer for his/her good taste in choosing that product! (this is contributed by J)

How did you think I can go to FIORUCCI in Hong Kong and came out with 2 pairs of shoes and a bag in less than 30 minutes? Because, the sales girl is good at upselling!

My intention was to just get a pair of shoes for my mom, and because she wear size 34, I asked the sales girl which shoe model comes in that size. You know what she did? She brought out ALL the shoes she has that is in size 34. Then she proceeded to suggest that I should also get a pair of shoes as she has some new designs that just came in. Then she said my legs are fair, so I can wear bright coloured shoes, etc. Then she also showed me a bag, which she thinks I may like because it's the latest model and it comes in a very nice and unique grey colour.

In Singapore, the sales person will just show you what you want to see, and silently stand at one side and keep quite...offering no constructive suggestions, etc. Don't they get paid commission?!

Even though Hong Kong stuff maybe more expensive now, but I think I feel happier spending my money there because they really make you feel good about buying. I just don't see why I have to be snubbed and then fork out thousands of dollars to buy designer stuff here.

Will save up and do all my shopping in Hong Kong next year!
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin