Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hong Kong - Day 1

Reached Hong Kong at around 11am, and the first thing we did - or rather what I did - was to eat Pork Chop Rice @ Cafe de Coral in the airport. It's a "tradition" for me upon touching down at HK Chek Lap Kok Airport (赤鱲角機場) and eat Pork Chop Rice before doing anything else :)

The pork chop rice used to come with 2 thin but huge pieces of pork chop, but now it comes with 1 piece of thick cut pork chop! Anyway, it still tastes great whatever the shape and size of the pork chop. I just love the tomato gravy on top of the fried rice! Yom!


After a satisfying meal (at least for me...ha!), we went to take the Airport Express train to town. I just love taking this train, it is part of the Hong Kong experience for me! The train leads you to Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. We alighted at Kowloon station to take a shuttle bus to our hotel. The shuttle service really makes it convenient to get to the hotel, and they even show the timings on the board.

After settling down, we headed off to Causeway Bay, and took a cab to Ap Lei Chau. There are tons of warehouses in Ap Lei Chau, selling discounted designer stuff, but I didn't get anything there. So we cabbed it back to Times Square in Causeway Bay. I immediately fell in love with the Christmas decorations in Times Square. It's an art installation by Carrie Chau and they are just gorgeous! I simply love the Leopard Black Sheep!!! Aaarrggghhh....!


The guys are hungry and grouchy by then, so we went in search of Xu Liu Shan dessert shop, to tide over our hunger before we head over to Yung Kee for dinner later.

The mango desserts are to die for lor! Mango cubes so fresh, and the glutinous rice balls are perfectly QQ, and slightly sweetened. You can not get desserts like this anywhere else!

J had 3 bowls of desserts here! 2 bowls of some yam thing with chestnut, and 1 of the coconut steamed with bird's nest! See who is the vain one here! The yam dessert comes with the fried carrot cake, which is also delicious! It is so nice that we order another portion to share, and it tastes superb with the Lee Kum Kee Chilli Sauce.

With tummies satisfied, we waddled to the MTR to go to Central...and came across this giant iPhone! Cool!

From Central station, we walked...or rather climbed our way to The Peak Tram Station. We walked past the BOC - my favourite building in HK!

Here comes the Tram! I think the ride up and down is just part of the experience! Just love it! I've lost count of how many times I've been up to The Peak, but it is something that I just do everytime I'm in Hong Kong. Don't ask me how many times I've been to Hong Kong either! Ha!
The view from The Peak is always breathtaking. The HKD20 is worth it for this view!

After freezing our a** off at The Peak, it's time to go back down to warmer climate and fill our once again rumbling tummies.

We cab it to Yun Kee at Wellington Street. It is so iconic that all taxi drivers know it. There are a lot of people who say that Yung Kee's roast goose is overrated, but I've not been able to find anything that taste close to it! Any recommendations anyone?!

We were served their famous century egg with still wobbly egg yolk. I wonder how they do it though...cook it for exactly X minutes?!


Up next is the moment I've been waiting for....the Roast Goose! Hehehe...it was delicious. Some people keep saying that it taste like DUCK. Sorry, I think it tastes better than duck! Yom! I could eat a whole goose myself! Wuahaha....



We had meat overload this dinner, cos we had stir fried beef with onion and ginger, roast goose, roast pigeon (eewww....), and the char siew! Felt quite "je lak" after the meal...

Took a pic of the restaurant again after the meal. It is somehow reassuring that some things just don't change - see this this pic I took 2 years back.


We headed back to our hotel, exhausted...and looking forward to going to Disneyland the next day!
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin