Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Happy Birthday lunch at Equinox

Happy Birthday J! I took a day off work to accompany J on his 39th birthday! I guess he is a happy man, what with the new car and of course me to accompany him on this special day! Ha!

I got him a new Coach key chain to hang his new car keys...hehehe...and I got myself the prettiest pink Coach wristlet ever! Ha...whose birthday is it again?! :)


Coach Wristlet...

Since I was expected to plan the day, I booked us lunch at Equinox. Not my first choice for a nice buffet lunch! But I thought J would love the foie gras and I was right! And the free flow of crabs, oysters, prawns kept my man really satisfied with lunch.



J gorging on seafood...


I had wanted to have dinner at Triple 3 because they serve lobster gratin! But they would not allow me to enjoy the 1-for-1 promotion without the OCBC Platinum card! I mean, I'm going to get the card anyway, as it is a free "upgrade" for all existing OCBC Robinson's card holder! Such inflexibility...oh well, so off we went to Equinox instead.


Sirloin "steak"

I skipped the main course in this semi-buffet because nothing on the menu interests me. And J decided to go for the Sirloin "steak". Ok, it really doesn't qualify to be called a "steak"! 4 small slices of beef and a few strands of asparagus and a small disc of potato. The buffet consists only of appetizers and desserts - and I thought it would be enough for me.

I ended up not eating much of the food, as most of them are cold appetizers. I felt like having something warm, and the only warm stuff are the soups! The tom yum soup they served tasted alright, but there was nothing but mushrooms in it! I was in the midst of regretting the decision to lunch at Equinox, when I started to nibble on some Roquefort cheese. And I immediately went..."hmmmmmmmm.....nice!". Ok, I only know Camembert cheese and of course your ubiquitous Kraft Singles! I didn't know the Roquefort is so delicious! And I helped myself to somemore Roquefort, Garlic Borsin, and of course Camembert. Ate all of them with grapes and some bread. It was just delicious! That was the highlight of the lunch for me. The Garlic Borsin was nice too! It was crumbly with a mild garlic taste to it. The Camembert was as usual chewy and has that unique Camembert taste.

From left...grapes, Roquefort, Garlic Borsin, Camembert and a soft roll

Equinox actually look very run-down in broad daylight, and service was not so fantastic. We were greeted by a staff on the 1st floor, before the lift landing that would take us up to the 70th floor. I advised her that we have a reservation made for 12.30pm, and she checked her list and confirmed that we have a table waiting. She ushered us towards the lift and wished us a good lunch.

When we finally reached the 70th floor, we were again asked if we had a reservation. I had expected the first staff to inform the people on the 70th floor of our impending arrival? Not that I expected to be treated like royalty, but these small touches actually help to enhance the service just that little bit. I had to repeat my name twice to the staff on the 70th floor, and the waitress keep asking if I am "Karen Cheng"?! I don't think my name sounds like Karen or Cheng for that matter!? *Faint* Must be the high altitude making her hearing somewhat funny?

View from Equinox...the tallest restaurant in Singapore

I think the only redeeming factor for Equinox is the view from the 70th floor. Not the best view, but it gives you a good view of the Singapore skyline. It is now pre-dominantly a huge construction site of the IR!

I hope J had a good day today! Happy Birthday dear! We will go to Triple 3 once I get my OCBC Platinum card, and it shall be my turn to gorge on lobsters! Ha! :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin