Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Poseur week...

The past week has been busy busy busy...with work, as well as socializing! I'm going to take a break from all the eating & drinking and just go to the gym for the rest of next week! I've been going to "Poseur" places and I think I've had enough to last me until, well...next month? :)

On Tuesday, I went 'Running Amock' @ Loof with Bea! Glad to see her back, and as usual, she is full of funny stories! In case you are clueless about 'Running Amock' - it is a non-alcoholic cocktail. I have no idea what is inside it, except it comes chockful of basil leaves, organge bits and lychee. Seems like only Bea and I appreciate this drink though :) And of course we had to order a serve of their Loofalicious wings!

Ok, this post will have not pictures because I am just plain lazy to lug my Lumix around recently. Oops...I've neglected my beloved digicam :( Anyway, on Wednesday, met up with PS and G for dinner at Mimolette to celebrate G's birthday belatedly. I wanted to take pictures but they do not allow picture taking!

Mimolette is situated at the Saddle Club, which is like really secluded and far from the maddening crowd. Nice ambience - check, cool decor with rabbits! - check, good food - hmmm...nothing made me go 'wow'!

Service was too "obvious"? There is no sincerity, and there was a lot of "upselling" of wine, desserts, etc. We ordered a side of Mac & Cheese, and the Roast Pork Rack, and the Pork Belly. It was porky night indeed :) And the waitress "suggested" we have some vegetables to go with our meal. I ordered the Mushrooms to avoid being seen as "cheapo" customers as we did not order wine, and that we only ordered 2 main dishes to share amongst the 3 of us! But the mushrooms are good, so it was ok. Overall, the food was decent, but portion was small and of course pricey. Ok, now I know why the waitress kept asking us to order more food! But thank goodness the mac and cheese was filling.

Nonetheless, the three of us had an enjoyable time. Oh well, it was worth experiencing the restaurant, and just so that I could tell people I've been to Mimolette! Ha! Poseur enough?

And on Friday, it's time to celebrate's Parv's birthday! The Birthday Gal wanted to go 1 Twenty Six, and so that was where we went. I made reservations for the four of us - Parv, C, A & myself - at 7.30pm, and as usual A is late and we reached there around 8pm. Guess what, they kept our table. Ok, it shows how "busy" they are! Parv's sister, S, joined us a bit later for dinner too.

Sad to say the food sucks! Ok, when I pay $36 for a main course of linguine with lobster, I expect a good pasta dish with decent lobster. The lobster was RAW! Eeew...you can taste the slimy texture when you eat it! Seems like Parv's Chilean seabass was also so raw that she couldn't cut through it. I don't know why we didn't make a big fuss. Are we too nice?

We ordered a bottle of nice red wine - Babich East Coast Pinot Noir 2007 - can't really remember the year. It is quite smooth and not too tannic. I don't usually like reds but this was quite good. Thanks to C for the recommendation!

After the disappointing dinner, I just felt like going over to Carl's Junior to have a really satisfying juicy burger! But we went on to "pose" and sat in the open air area, which is reminiscent of Oosh, and had a bottle of prosecco. Personally I prefer Oosh because it is more cosy and the tables are set apart from each other, so you have some privacy with your own party. 1-Twenty Six is just to "poser" for me with too loud music, and you can't have a proper conversation. Poor S had to shout and listen really hard because she was sitting right beneath the speaker!

C asked the staff to give a surprise birthday "cake" to Parv, and guess how much they charged us for it: $30 for a miserable few slices of undetectable "cake"! It tasted like creme brulee or some flan with a nut crust underneath, and honestly the nuts are not that fresh. I wonder which leftover dessert did they use to assemble this "cake". Oh well, Parv was pleasantly surprised, but we are not too happy with the $30 price tag. I mean, if it were a decent cake, we don't mind paying for it, but not this undiscernable excuse for a cake! So we disputed and got them to cut the $30 out from the bill.

This will be the first and last time that I will go to 1-Twenty Six. Oh by the way, Chef Reif is helming the kitchen there - did you have a sense of dejavu?

That sums up my "Poseur" week, and I hope to have some quite time to myself in the coming week. Breathe...exercise...and be happy :)

Oh, I just remembered, I'll be going to another Poseur place this Sunday with Saun! Yeah! She's back for a bit and we are either going to PS Cafe or Marmalade Pantry - depending on where I could get a reservation! And I will surely bring my Lumix this time!


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin