Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Satay House

When I want to have good Indonesian food in a clean air-conditioned environment in Jakarta, I will go to Satay House.  

The food never disappoints, and they update their menu every so often, so you can try something new everytime you visit.

Orange juice with young coconut flesh

This drink is very refreshing!  The orange juice comes from the green oranges that is so abundant in Indonesia.  I don't know what they are called though.  But they are extremely sweet and juicy and makes great orange juice!  The coconut is a nice touch to add to this already refreshing drink.

Salad....

Hmmm....I forgot what this is!  Some sort of tofu salad...I think.

Satay!

This is the highlight of Satay House!  Ok, as the name implies, they specialize in Satay!  This is I think the Satay Ambengan.  This comes with some gravy which is delicious.  I just cannot be bothered to eat Satay in Singapore.  I don't like the sickly sweet taste of the meat and the peanut gravy.  I much prefer Indonesian Satays as they are more savoury.

Nasi Ikan Asin Pepes...

Nasi ikan asin pepes - Salted fish with rice "baked" in leaves.  Yums!  This is their special of the month.  Deliciously soft fragrant rice with spices and chilli baked in leaves.  The rice has absorbed all the spicy goodness, and I just can't stop eating them!  We ordered another portion after we finish the first one....hehehe...

The rice comes with the ubiquitous fried tofu, fried chicken, and sambal belachan to add more "oomph" to the rice.

Lontong Cap Gomeh...

Lontong cap gomeh - it's rice "cakes" with curry vegetables, tofu, etc.  There is a lot going on in there!  But they taste yummy.  Beware of the chilli padi they throw in in abundance, and lurking innocently in the gravy! 

Soto Ayam...

My favourite Soto Ayam.  I have no idea what goes into this, but it's simply delicious.  One thing is Indonesian food is hardly served piping hot, which suits me just fine!  I cannot drink piping hot stuff, burns my tongue and make me miserable.  Ha!
  
Soto Timlo..

Soto Timlo - again no idea what goes into the soup, but this doesn't taste as good as the Soto Ayam.  Indonesia is so diverse, that there are so many variations of just Soto alone!  But this is what makes Indonesian food so interesting.

Posting this makes me crave for Indonesian food  :(  Hope I can make it back to Jakarta next month or something.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin