Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Puncak, Jakarta

Made a weekend trip down to Jakarta in April for 清明节。I went up to Puncak, to visit the temple where we placed my Father's ashes.  It is about a 1.5hrs car ride from Jakarta town to Puncak.


This is the car that brought us around that day - Honda Elysion.  One of my favourite MPVs...I feel like a kid in that car, especially when I sit right at the last row because it is so spacious!  :)

After the visit to the temple, we headed off for lunch at the popular Chinese restaurant - Sindanglaya.  I would rather eat Indonesian food, but the aunties prefer Chinese!  Oh well, will have Indonesian food when I'm back in Jakarta town.

Very "old school" condiment containers are placed on each table.  The deceivingly mild looking chilli sauce is actually very powerful!  

This is the kangkong in hotplate!  I like kangkong, and the quail eggs are a nice touch to add to the dish.  There were supposed to be beef slices in the veggies, but the meat looks too pale to be beef!  I'm seriously suspecting it was horse meat??!  :(

This is a Hakka favourite dish - fried eel with fu mak.  Fu mak is a vegetable, and I still don't know what is it called in English.  But it is yummy! 

Another popular dish in the restaurant is the carp with beehoon.  I am not a fish fan!  So the fish just doesn't appeal, especially when it's so pale.  But the aunties love it lah.

The beehoon soup is good though.  It's good to slurp something warm and slippery in the chilly weather.  We were high up in the mountains of Puncak!

But to me, the star of this restaurant is their boiled chicken in with garlic sauce.  Yummy!  This is one of those dishes where you can only get it in Jakarta, and get good ones!  I think it has something to do with the kampong chicken that they use?  

The 4 aunties plus moi did a good job of polishing off most of the food.  Yummy...but I think I would still prefer to eat the local delights, such as the steamed chicken rice, tong seng, satay, etc.

Ok, time to plan the next trip back!  Anybody want to join me?  :)
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin