Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Friday, May 01, 2009

Melben revisited...

Melben never fail to satisfy even after numerous visits.  This is the place to go for J, especially after his monthly stint in China.

During this visit, I noticed that some dishes had been taken out of their menu - like their Chicken in Thai sauce, which is one of my favourites.  So I decided to order dishes that we never had before.  

Guinness Stout Pork Ribs

The Guinness Stout Pork Ribs is too sticky sweet for my liking.  I will stick to the Mongolian Pork Ribs from now on!  I prefer the Mongolian because it is more savoury with slivers of onion and capsicum to add flavour to the dish.

Spicy Claypot Tofu

The Spicy Claypot Tofu is yummy - egg tofu, egg, minced meat, prawns, chilli sauce, and spring onion.  Fail-safe formula for a gooey saucy dish to pour over your rice as gravy.  But I don't know why it comes in a wok instead of "claypot"?  :)

Black Pepper Crab

The Stars of Melben are obviously their crab dishes.  This time, I decided to have the Black Pepper Crab, instead of the usual Claypot Beehoon Crab.  The black pepper has a nice spicy kick to it, which is really nice, but I didn't have much appetite that day and only managed to eat one claw.  

J demolished the rest of the crab and pork ribs, while I struggled to finish the tofu thing.  But it is always a pleasant experience to dine in Melben because the service is always efficient and friendly.  

Hmmm...must arrange dinner @ Melben soon with a few good friends so that I have an excuse to pop my last bottle of Vasse Felix Silver Knight.  At $3 corkage charge, it is a shame not to bring a bottle of nice wine to accompany their excellent crabs!
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin