Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Missing Indonesian food....

Came across pics of Indonesian food in iPhoto, which I took in February!  Now I'm sharing it with all of you what humble but delicious Indonesian food looks like...and hopefully, can convey the taste as well.


Whenever we drive up to Puncak (the mountain "resort" area), we will usually stop by Jangkar for lunch.  I've always wondered why a restaurant high up in the mountains would be called "Jangkar", which means "anchor"?  Was expecting a seaside restaurant to be named "Jangkar" rather than a mountain resort restaurant?!  Maybe I should ask the lady owner the next time I go up.

As you can see from the simply designed menu, this is a no fuss eatery, serving good food at cheap prices.


My absolute favourite is the beehoon with chicken.  It doesn't look much - pale beehoon topped with shredded chicken and garnished with spring onions and cilantro.  There is no visible sauce, but somehow, the beehoon is always very tasty, with each strand coated in some aromatic sauce!  Simply love it!


My 2nd favourite is the steamed rice with chicken.  Again, it looks pale, but I can tell you it is even more aromatic than Hainanese chicken rice!  And because the chicken is kampong chicken, they taste even better!


The standard nasi goreng topped with a perfectly fried egg.  What more can I say?  I just love the Indonesian style of fried rice.

                                      

These beef balls are also marvellicious.  Bouncy, beefy meatballs, totally unlike Ikea meatballs, but as good or even better!  The perfect accompaniment to the main dishes!

These dishes are Indonesian staple, just like the mee pok, chicken rice, and economic rice that we find in Singapore's hawker centers.  I do miss them a lot when I'm in Singapore, and wish that someone would open an Indonesian restaurant serving these dishes instead of the nasi padang type of food.

Ok, a trip back home is a must before the end of the year!
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin