Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yung Kee, Hong Kong

A lot of people had commented that Yung Kee is overpriced, and you can find better food elsewhere.  These are also the same group of people who cannot tell me which restaurant serves better roast goose than Yung Kee, so I wonder who are they comparing with?


Until someone can recommend a place with a complete address (and not just say there is a better restaurant, but can't tell me where) that has better roast goose than Yung Kee, I will declare that Yung Kee's roast goose IS the best.


First up is the famous pei dan with the gooey yolks.  Delish!  I couldn't find anything like this anywhere else.  Any suggestions on where else to find these?



Next up is the roast goose - I could eat the whole plate by myself!  But social norms kept me in check, and I took piece after piece of the succulent meat, and crisply skin.  The soya beans (or are they peanuts?) that comes with the goose is very chewy and sweet - I have no idea how they achieve this effect.





If I had to become a vegetarian for any reason, I hope I live in Hong Kong, so that I can eat super fresh and sweet vegetables all the time!  

This is the supposedly the bitter greens called gai choy in Cantonese - but these only has a hint of bitterness that add more bite and complements well with the chinese ham.  It is simmered in superior stock, and the soup goes very well with fluffy steamed white rice.




We ordered the fish belly and tofu claypot.  The fish meat is fresh and the tofu is soft and flavourful.  This goes very well with white rice as well!



Yung Kee is still packed every night despite all the detractors.  But with food this good, I am sure they have a huge fan base who still support them.


Hong Kongers are sooo lucky to have Yung Kee within easy reach!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin