Opinions on food, fashion, and anything else that catches my fancy...

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Zhou Zhuang (周庄)


Note: This event took place in May....yes, I know I'm way behind in my posts! Anyway, hope you still enjoy it!

周庄 is the highlight of my trip to Shanghai! The "Venice of the East" did not fail to deliver you with magnificent scenery and good food, although I just happened to stumble upon this water village while surfing the Internet.

It was a 1.5hours drive to the village outside Shanghai, and I slept through most of the way although I tried very hard to keep awake and take in the scenery :P

Here we are at 周庄! We hired a tricycle to go around town as it is apparently HUGE! I thought I could just walk around town!


This was where Tom Cruise filmed one of his Mission Impossible series, but I could not remember which one. It has one scene where he jumped from bridge to bridge, and these are the bridges along the river.



The tourists get around in boats, but the locals just walk!




I like the patterned cobblestone walkway....so charming! We had a delicious meal in one of the restaurant village. And the place is sooo clean, you could probably eat off it's floor! I'm so glad to be able to find a clean toilet in the village...ha!


Shrink wrapped cutlery! I like! I think this is a good idea, although may not be the most environmentally friendly?



The pig trotters is the signature dish here, and we just had to order it! And it was deliciously tender, juicy, moist, savoury, yums!



J ordered the fish, which I practically did not touch...cos it's full of tiny bones! Not going to risk getting a fish bone stuck in my throat on a holiday! And my "hero" actually polished off the whole fish himself!



The obligatory plate of greens. It was very salty as with all foods in China, but this one has added protein in the form of worms....which I didn't see until we nearly finish the plate of greens :(



And this bowl of chicken soup is probably the best soup I've ever had...if you can excuse the "goosebump" skin with some feathers still attached too it :( But seriously, the soup is delicious!

There was only another table occupied while we were lunching, and they are a group of Hong Kongers. After their meal, they also praised the chef for the delicious soup. They say you can't find this anywhere in Hong Kong, maybe because the chicken is really fresh. Yeah, it's probably slaughtered just before it's cooked? Oops...

We walked around until late in the afternoon before heading back to Shanghai town, and had the most expensive, but not necessarily the best meal of this holiday!





Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin